[Dailydrool] cornering

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 24 14:56:39 PST 2012

Good afternoon,

It is becoming apparent to us that bassets do not corner well.  We did not
anticipate this, as with the low center of gravity and all we expected that
bassets would have more control in the turns, but that turns out not to be the
case.  At least with the two bassets currently in residence.  The long legged
labrador, however, does seem to corner fairly well.  It can be said that at
speed the rear end does break loose and come around to some extent, however the
driving labrador straightens out successfully coming out of the turn with
limited damage to self, obstacles, and passers by.  The same cannot be said for
the bassets.

A case in point.  Midmorning today the resident dogs commenced the basset/lab
500 in the yard.  We have (had?) numerous large teracotta planters on the patio
with various blooming organisms inside.  It appears that one or more bassets
completely lost it in the turn mowing down most of them leaving in their wake a
maylay of dirt, greenery and the occasional blossom, along with teracotta dust
and debries.

It should be noted that no bassets were harmed in the aforementioned collision,
in fact they did not seem to notice the utter destruction in their wake.  Cyrus
lept over it all.

Can your bassets corner?

A clueless momPerson who wants to know.