[Dailydrool] Young Charlie's dancing feet

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 21:22:34 PST 2012

------------------

Elizabeth: I am sorry to hear about young Charlie's crooked leg bones.
 In my years in rescue, I know of several dogs who have had this
surgery done, most of them as younger dogs (under the age of 2).  All
of them have had good recoveries and years of less-painful walking and
dancing.  But yes, the surgeries are very expensive.

A couple of things to think about.  First, do you have him on a good
joint supplement?  Mine take a Glyco-Flex II everyday and a fish oil
capsule.  The Glyco-Flex has Glucosamine, MSM, and Chondroitin.  I've
had really good results with these.  As you may know, Bozlee has disc
problems, and Hector has terrible hip dysplasia, as well as a history
of being "down" in the back (due to a spinal infection, in his case)..
 A couple of months ago, Bozlee had elevated kidney numbers, so we had
to stop giving him his daily Deramaxx.  I was worried how he would do
without it, but he has done remarkably well; no signs of pain or
stiffness.  Since I haven't changed anything else in their diet or
exercise routijnes, I can only assume that the joint supplements are
hleping.  At any rate, it'w worth a try; they certainly won't hurt
him!

Another thought is to ask Charlie's rescue group is perhaps they could
make arrangements with a vet that they know will give them a rescue
discount, to have Charlie's surgery done under their "name", if you
will.  Many rescues are willing to work with adopters in this way, if
they have a vet who gives discounts to rescue.  So that's something to
consider as well, if there comes a time when you determine that
Charlie cannot avoid the surgery.

I am glad to hear that he charmed the vet and techs.  Charlie is
terribly charming, of course, so this news doesn't surprise me at all.
 Also, is it OK if I post here on the DD the little video I took and
you, Charlie and Elsinore dancing in your living room?

--
Menzie Campbell
Save a Life - Don't Shop, ADOPT!