[Dailydrool] Melodramatic basset

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 05:28:13 PST 2012

I haven't had problems with a basset and a crate, quite simply because no one gets crated around here. But, oh, the drama.

Some dogs are more melodramatic than others. Jane, our First Hound, who started us with bassets, has her drama moments. If you try to clip her nails, she acts as if you were trying to take off a leg. She has gotten so upset, biting her tongue and bleeding, that our groomer suggested our vet take over the clipping. But two of our boys, Abner and Dexter, way outweighed her in the dramatics. Abner was just a nervous boy from the first. Since he had back troubles, his drama mostly related to things like vet visits and being touched when he didn't want to be. Dexter, our current foster, has taken over his attitudes and brought them to a new height. If you so much as touch him wrong, he yelps as if murder were being done. Accidently step on his paw, and you will think his leg is being taken off. It's mostly excitement, I think, and a fine sense of drama on the dog's part. None of these hounds were seriously harmed. The Drool's Angela Basset, famed for her
 acting abilities, couldn't do better than these bassets in "agony." But really, the causes of the drama are no big deal, from a human point of view.

As for the acorns in the paws, it's not at all uncommon around here in the fall. Those basset paws just seem to invite bits of acorn to lodge inside them. Really, the dog is not being harmed all that much. You did the right thing, and you can't do much more than remove the acorn, unless you want to buy the dog boots and put them on the dog. And that may require another set of melodramatics on your hound's part.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets