[Dailydrool] Costco food

Nancy Candray speedsterbasset at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 21:15:59 PST 2012

I feel behind again and still catching up but I couldn't help but post on the Costco thread. I switched to Costco dog food lamb & rice after someone here one drool suggested it (thank you by the way!) Both Speedy and Rambo had been on Eagle Pack Holistic but times were tough and I just couldn't afford spending $100 each month so we made the switch and haven't looked back.

They did great. Rambo's, being a Shar Pei and having semi-sensitive skin, coat is beautiful, shiny, and soft (as soft as a Shar Pei's coat can be of course). We did have any issue with Rambo not absorbing enough nutrients but we added Eagle Pack wet food and he is looking better.But that was breed specific and not at all related to the food being feed. All in all, I thought the Kirkland brand was great for the price.

But then my sister sent a text telling me that her husband's best friend, a vet, said Costco was the worst food out there. Well here are some of my thoughts when she sent me that text.....

1.) My sister's husband is very involved pets and dogs as he is the VP of sales for veterinary equipment and sees first hand things that happen when dogs are badly breed and yet will still go and buy a dog from a breeder - like the ones found on the internet.  This makes him a d***(well that and other things as well)
2.) Husband's best friend owns a pet shop and, of course, sell puppies (although my sister tried to defend it with - he doesn't always sell puppies). This makes best friend #1 a d***
3.) If husband is a d*** and best friend #1 is a d*** then best friend that is a vet must be a d*** too and wouldn't know good dog food if it smacked him in the face. He probably promotes Science Diet which most vets claim to be the best but always makes my boys itch like crazy.

OK I know I'm being totally biased due to my lack of fondness of my sister's husband but sometimes the "experts" say things just rehash info given to them. I do my own research to make sure things aren't harmful and I don't base myself on articles that just say something is bad but rather that have scientific bases (another reason why I let Speedy have avocados if they fall from the trees and he finds them, but that's a whole other topic for another time).

OK I had to vent because that text had been in the back of my head for the longest time.

PS Even though I don't particularly like Science Diet, I do think the prescription ones are good for a pets that have certain issues and does help. I just don't like their line for healthy dogs that don't need a prescription diet. In my short experience, all my dogs have had skin issues with it.

Nancy momslabe to
Speedy Speed Demon of the West OEBE
Ted (ATB)
and now Rambo