[Dailydrool] Pilling hounds, Pill Wrap, and Pill Pockets

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu Jul 5 09:03:48 PDT 2012

Since Dexter has not been eating anything, because of his eye troubles, I had to find a way to get his pills into him. When I picked up some medication, the ER vet gave me some samples of Pill Pockets and something called Pill Wrap.

I loved the Pill Wrap. It's just a dough that you can wrap around pills. To make it easier on Dex, I wrapped the smallest amount I could around the Tramadol and put it at the back of his throat. It slid down quite nicely. No complaints about the taste of the pill from Dex.

Well, I am nearly out of the Pill Wrap. So last night I grabbed the Pill Pockets. Dex couldn't eat a whole one, so I pulled part of it off and wrapped it around the pill the way I did with the Pill Wrap. It worked perfectly. I figure that it only takes a quarter to a third of one pocket to do the pills, so I could get as much as four times as many uses from it as I would if I just gave the whole pocket.

The good news is that Pill Pockets has a variety for dogs with allergies, so I don't have to worry about using that for allergy-prone Holly.
Of course, if you're giving a horse pill, you'll have to use the whole Pill Pocket. This method just works for the smaller pills.

Pill Wrap is available online. It seems to be somewhat cheaper than the pockets. Or you may find a vet that has it, as I did.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets