[Dailydrool] grieving dogs

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 03:03:33 PDT 2012

Some dogs don't appear to even notice when one of the pack vanishes
forever. Others look for their companions relentlessly, and some look for a
day or two and quit, and some appear lost, lonesome and depressed when the
other dog fails to reappear after a period of time.

It is easy to assume they are grieving, because we are. I am not sure that
is always the case but I do believe that dogs react negatively to the
absence of another dog to whom they may have had a special relationship.

Cooper was always protective of Llewis, and for a number of years the two
went outside together and Cooper would wait patiently under the picnic
table (in the shade) while Llewis spent an hour sunning himself. When
Llewis came in, Cooper came in. If Cooper came in and Llewis was still
outside, Cooper would go get him.

When Cooper began his final decline, the roles switched. Llewis went out if
Cooper went out. He came in when Cooper came in. He slept in the LR with
Cooper. He would watch to see if Cooper ate (that may not have been
entirely altruistic LOL) and when Cooper was curled up in a chair, Llewis
would be next to the chair. It was clear they were more than just dogs in
the same house.
Now that Cooper is gone, Llewis is lost. He is low man on the dog totem
pole, even lower than Nigel who somehow retains his spot as head
grump.Llewis is sad. Llewis is lonely. Llewis is constantly looking for a
new companion.

I do not have a magic answer. My heart breaks for Llewis when I look out
and see him curled up asleep in the yard, all alone. Another companion
seems to be the answer. And we are working on that, another black fuzzy
thing for him to mentor. It may not happen that way--the puppy may not bond
with Llewis at all, and that is not why I am getting another Belgian, but I
am hoping it will take some of the sadness away, having a puppy to run and
play with. This is my solution, but it is one that is not always practical.

I do know of one dog, a golden, who went into such serious physical decline
after the loss of his lifelong companion that he nearly died, and grief
seemed to be at the root of it. The owners bought another dog for Whiskey,
and he rallied and was fine after that.

MomPerson, who tries to give Llewis extra time, Nigel, who thinks all time
is his, and Conley who just butts in anyway.