[Dailydrool] Dexter's post-op report

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Wed Jul 11 06:31:12 PDT 2012

I while ago I got a call from the vet, and Dexter will be staying a bit longer in his large cage there. There is still some serious swelling going on, and he's not feeling particularly comfortable. So the vet is putting him on Rimadyl and providing another pain medication, I think. They hope that shortly the little guy will be feeling much better. But this means he will not be coming home until later today at the earliest.
We are asking that drool be slung so that the swelling will go down quickly and he'll be feeling much perkier. On the one hand I'm not surprised that he is experiencing this, because his eye was quite large. But it still hurts to think that he's not folloiwng the usual healing path.

Though the vet did not mention how well he's been eating, I suspect he's off food for the time being (this kind of surgery makes it hard for them to eat, since the muscles near the mouth are affected). Before he can come home, I'd like to have him eating something. He lost three or four pounds in the past week or so, when he was in pain before the surgery. I don't know what I'd do if he came home and refused food as he has before. I'm looking to having him out of pain so that he can eat. And he is a wuss about pain (though I suspect I'd be that way too, if I'd been through the kind of pain he's been in twice). Now I understand why he was so thin when we got him, after his first surgery.

I know the hounds can relate to his hating to be away from home, so they may also want to sling some no-separation-anxiety drool in his direction.

It's killing me, knowing my poor, wussy little basset boy hurts, and I can't be there to help and comfort him.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets