[Dailydrool] grieving dog

Tim Mayer tcm541 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 11:27:29 PDT 2012

I too have experienced the grieving dog syndrome. Late last year when I lost
Dreamer and Beethoven only 4 days apart, Maggie was seriously stricken. Her
behavior changed overnight. She lost her bounce (except at dinnertime, of
course), and started moping about. Her spirits sagged so much her body
followed suit. Then she started barking when walking around the house -
totally new behavior, not a good one either - and digging in the yard,
trying to get out under the fence. After a few days I knew she wasn't meant
to be an "only" dog and got my act together. I adopted Leia Round, and
filled out the pack a couple months later with Dexter. So now Maggie is all
happy again, although she didn't get her full bounce back. She's aged
rapidly herself this year - she is 12 or 13 now. But emotionally she is
fine.

Just like people, each dog will be different.

Tim 'n Puppies
Maggie d'Earest
Leia Round
Dexter