[Dailydrool] Basset attack

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 09:41:21 PDT 2012

Ahhh, how closely did you read the article? The dog attacked the Basset,
the owner of the basset, the owner of the Pit, a neighbor and the Cop; it
was maced and probably had people yelling and beating on it and it would
not let go,it was going to kill the Basset. This is not the same as a loose
dog that sniffs your dog and moves along. It is too bad it was a Pit and
not, shall we say, a Chihuahua who do their fair share of biting.
The difference is, a Chihuahua is unlikely to kill you or your dog. It
would not have mattered if the dog had been a Golden Retriever or an
attack-trained Karelian Bear dog the outcome was going to be very very ugly
and, justifiably I believe, the dog was killed when other, less drastic
methods failed.
It is not sensationalism when a dog attacks another dog and several people:
it is news and this dog happened to be a breed that is well-known for it's
willingness and enthusiasm during attacks. This is the big problem with the
breed-- they give 110% to everything they do, whether it is playing catch
or attacking a Basset hound. There's no halfway with a Pit. It is both a
virtue and a curse for the breed and their owners.
Having been involved in a very similar scenario I am sorry it ended the way
it did, but my sympathies go to the Basset and the people who were involved
in a totally traumatic situation.
MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis and Conley