[Dailydrool] basset carts?

BRYAN MARTINEZ brymart at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 16 16:00:26 PDT 2012

Sam, aka Malcomb, my 4 year old rescue who I adopted on in January,
suddenly and without warning, lost the use of his rear legs yesterday.
X rays reveal a possibility of spinal damage of some sort, but no
fractures and no smoking gun. The emergency vet gave him an IV drip of
steroids and gave me some prednisone to give him for the next 5 days.
He said , though, that if he is not improving in 48 hours, then
surgery is the only recourse.
It's been more than 30 hours and his back feet are just unable to help
him stand , let alone walk. I've been using a towel around his waist
and supporting him out to the back yard (no more doggie door for Sam)
to do his business. He is able to scoot around dragging his legs
behind him, but he still wags his tail when he sees me and it is just
heartbreaking, especially since this came out of nowhere. His whole
life has changed in one day, but he still can wag his tail.
He will see my regular vet on wednesday, but I doubt he can do
anything, since a vet is pretty much a GP.
I've been thinking that his condition is probably permanent (hope
not!) and that one of those little carts with wheels might be just the
thing for him.
Any ideas or experiences along these lines?