[Dailydrool] who feeds your hounds??

Donna Lindy dlindy at mac.com
Tue Jul 17 15:29:19 PDT 2012

I've always been the slave who feeds, gives the
meds and eye drops, etc.  But here I am very
suddenly unable to do this for a while - Bill was able
to step in and take right over because I keep information
on their food and medications updated just in case.
It occurred to me as I just updated the info for my
dogs that maybe I should share this with other slaves.

I started doing this while I was taking care of our
elderly family members and I was often having to
miss feeding the hounds for one reason or another.
It's kind of a pain the first time you do it, but if you
leave it on your computer, it's easy to update
whenever there's a change. I keep a print-out of this
information with the medications so it's easy to find
as well as keeping the info in a folder on my computer.

One thing I do on my med schedule is include a
description of the medication (like larger white tablet
for Gracie's phenobarbital and smaller white tablet
for the tramadol she takes).  When Pauline and
Elmo were still with us, there were medications that
could have really caused some problems if they
were given to the wrong dog. So if there's any
confusion, knowing what the meds look like can
be important.

Another thing to consider is that dosages on
medication my change for some reason or
maybe your dogs are sharing a medication.
My husband knows to follow the instructions
on my med schedule over what may be on a label,
although I tried to remember to make the change on
the med itself, too.

My three all eat something different so I include
their chow on my info sheet as well as the date
they get their heartworm and phone numbers for
the vet and emergency clinics.

Anyway, I hope this will be helpful to someone
out there in Drool Land. You never know when
you're gonna fall and break your freakin' ankle
or have some kind of other emergency.

One thing that I do find funny is that Bill has
been feeding the 12 paws since May 25 - yet
if I'm downstairs, who do  you think they start
bugging for chow an hour before feeding time??
Me!

Donna, who had to pick up marbles with her
toes today in PT, and Gracie, Bosley & Sunny