[Dailydrool] LuLu and the green beans and the clueless momPerson

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 19 14:25:06 PDT 2012

Hi it's Snoopy here,

I've been trying to keep the peace at our house.  Not an easy task at the
moment.  The clueless momPerson and LuLu have a difference of opinion.  It is a
significant difference.  So significant a difference that LuLu slept with
Natalie last night rather than go to bed with me and the clueless momPerson.  It
is all LuLu's fault ....

LuLu here ... it is NOT my fault ... I announced it several times ..... if it is
in the backyard I WILL chew it up ....

Give me BACK that keyboard and YES it IS YOUR fault .... you KNOW how she loves
her flower beds!!

Ahem.  Excuse me.  Back to my story.  It is true that LuLu never ever under any
circumstances messes with anything in the house.  She hasn't even had an
accident in months.  And, she has "announced" multiple times that she feels free
to mangle anything in the yard.  Including momPerson's little irrigation
drippers which is annoying .... but the momPerson has been hiding them.
momPerson is actually very understanding.  She allows for pilferage.  LuLu will
harvest rasberries left right and center and the momPerson said .... oh ... it's
ok .... she only gets the ones which are within a couple of feet to the ground.
Oh yeah?  Ever notice how tall a standing basset is?  How about one who can
climb the trellis?  The clueless momPerson even made allowances for that.  She
is willing to share.  And ... mistakes happen.  A few months back I myself went
to swipe a side shoot off of a broccoli plant and I accidently pulled the whole
huge plant out of the ground.  So, I did what any self respecting basset would
do ... I ate the evidence.  Except there was no way to hide the huge gaping hole
in the flower bed where the plant used to be.  momPerson was EVEN understanding
about that .... it was an honest mistake and anyway the broccoli was almost
done.

So, back to the current dilema.  LuLu used to walk right through the flower beds
and some of them are VERY special (the Ellen J Morris memorial bed and the John
Wyeth memorial bed .... for her parents .... for example).   The clueless
momPerson has the beds delimited with river rocks .... which LuLu steps right
over like they weren't even there.  So the clueless momPerson put in 18 inch
high little fences .... and Cyrus and I YELL at LuLu if she tries to go over
them because it upsets the clueless momPerson and she WILL cry.  So that had
been working.  Until now.  You see, the clueless momPerson plants flowers AND
vegetables in the same beds .... she thinks it looks nice and it makes for lots
of fresh produce.  In winter she plants broccoli and snow peas and lettuce.  In
summer she plants tomatos and cucumbers and lettuce and summer squash and blue
lake pole beans ..... hold it right there .... did I just type that?  What WAS
she thinking?  We get those frozen in our bowls twice a day!!!  So she has these
lovely poles in her favorite flower bed and they have a lush and lovely green
vine covering them and yesterday LuLu found out 3 things.

1)  They are literally COVERED with green beans
2)  If you grab the vine and pull you can lay the whole pole down on the ground
OUTSIDE the little fence and eat up a million green beans.

3)  If you do this the clueless momPerson will get very frustrated with you.  It
is possible that she will even yell at you.  She will probably cry.  And you
might end up sleeping with Natalie.

More later from Snoopy (who helped eat the green beans but ONLY after they were
outside the little fence)

and LuLu (who already announced to the drool and everyone else (TWICE) that if
it's in the backyard it's fair game)

and Cyrus (who wants to assure everyone that a)  he had nothing to do with the
trouble and b)  he snuggled his momPerson all night and she feels better now)

and the clueless momPerson too (who managed to get her bean pole back in the
ground and thinks the plant might be ok)