[Dailydrool] Ouija the Mighty Huntress

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Jul 19 19:41:39 PDT 2012

Since coming to live with us last June, Ouija has blossomed. When living
with Pat, she was so intent on being with Pat and seeking her constant
approval that she wouldn't willingly go outside or stay outside without
picking a fight with one of the other girls or destroying something. She
always loved coming here and exploring the yard and stalking the squirrels;
so a week or so after coming here to live I was delighted to see her
spending more time outside and enjoying it. Her love of the outdoors has
increased steadily with her many times sitting in the shade of our large
elms and watching three or four trees where she has squirrels trapped.
Frequently, when I call the dogs in, I have to make a special trip to the
'back forty", with a lead, to get her to come inside. Well, tonight she
outdid herself. This has been the first evening with temperatures below 80
and the dogs were enjoying lounging in the yard well after dark. I called
them in about 10 PM and everyone came in except Ouija. So I went out with a
lead to get her but I couldn't find her in the pitch darkness. So, I went
back into the house and turned on the 5493 nickzillion watt flood light and
grabbed a couple of cookies. I saw her immediately laying in the middle of
the yard, looking at me and wagging her tail, about 80 feet away from me. I
kept calling her but she just laid there wagging. I kept approaching her and
could see she was chewing on something on the ground. I thought it was one
of the many chew toys we have outside for the dogs. As I got closer I could
see it was definitely NOT a chew toy but I couldn't tell for sure what it
was ... other than alive! I thought it was a snake, which I HATE and am
afraid of, so I backed off a little and tried to lure her with the cookies.
No way ... she grabbed her treasure and took off, but I got a better look at
it and I was sure it was a bunny. We played "catch me if you can" for a
while with me alternating between a sweet voice saying "come on Ouija ...
let's go get some cookies" to a horrified "EEEWWW!". Finally, I went in and
woke Craig up to come help me. With him armed with the pooper scooper and me
with a lead and a bunch of cookies, we tracked her down. She decided that
she was going to take her new toy into the house, so I finally was able to
grab her by the door. I had her by the scruff and told her to "DROP IT!" ...
and a couple other words too ... and she did! Craig scooped it up and I got
her into the house, all the time telling her how disgusting that was. Then,
as I was putting her in her crate and giving her a cookie, SHE KISSED ME! I
think I may die.

Sandi Wittenberg

Red Bay Bassets