[Dailydrool] Wilbur and Glaucoma

Barbara Sorensen b.a.sorensen at att.net
Mon Jul 23 13:15:54 PDT 2012

Our thoughts are with everyone who is battling this terrible condition right
now.  It isn't fun.  Wilbur was diagnosed with glaucoma in February.  By the
time we caught it, he had already lost the sight in his left eye and pressures
were high in the right.  We are very fortunate that we do have very good canine
ophthamologists in the Mpls/St. Paul area.   We were offered several options on
treatment and decided not to have any surgery for the time being.  Since then,
Willie has been getting four different eye drops twice a day.  They are:
prednisolone actetate, lantanoprost, demercarium bromide and dorzolomide.   We
can get all but the demercarium at any pharmacy.  The demercariam is for vet use
only and we get it directly from the company.  However, in the last few weeks,
we have had much more trouble controlling pressures and some pills or capsules
have been added to the regimen.    Methazolamide can be purchased at any
pharmacy.  It's expensive.  An equivalent, dichlorhenamide, we get from the same
company as the demercarium.  This is good, because in addition to the drops,
Willie is now getting six pills a day.  He is also getting the latanaprost in
mid-day.

For some reason, the eye pressures tend to spike around 3-4 a.m.   Willie's
doctor mentioned that if he had a dog with glaucoma  he would consider giving
the drops during the night, as well.

We are asking for drool, crossed paws and good wishes for Willie tomorrow.
Having been to the emergency vet three times in three weeks for pressure spikes,
Willie is having surgery tomorrow.   The doctor is trying a new combination
technique that combines laser surgery with a drainage tube.   We had been told
about the tube implant before, but they have tended to plug up with protein
within weeks or a few months.  The laser surgery works, but the danger has been
that initially, the irritation from the surgery causes swelling and pressure
spikes.   The thought is that the tube will handle the drainage while the laser
surgery heals and by the time the tube blocks, the laser surgery will have taken
effect.  Both are established techinques, it is the combination that is new and
different.

I hope this might help someone.  If you want the name of either our
ophthamologist or the veterinary drug company (you will need a perscription from
your vet),  please e-mail me off-list.

Barb, mom to Willie, Duncan, Buddy the not-a-basset with Max, Gretta and Copper
(ATB)