[Dailydrool] Update on Two Hounds

Tim Mayer tcm541 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 19:46:14 PDT 2012

I'm sending one message to multiple people/organizations, so maybe only half
of this will be of interest. But I'm emotionally drained and don't want to
try this twice. I'm sure most of you will understand how that feels.

Fortunately, it's fairly good news on both subjects. Hound one: the stray is
on his way to a new home. The rescue in northern California picked him up
this afternoon. Believe me, I really spent a lot of time worrying about what
was best for the dog, but that would still be doable from my end. I just
couldn't do any long road trips right now, but the dog needed to go to a
rescue that understood hounds. After long conversations with this rescue,
and several people who have had dealings with them (including a personal
friend who adopted from them in the past), I'm very confident he will be
well taken care of. While it was fun to have him here, it was definitely not
something I could manage long term. After all, the stinker jumps 5 foot
fences any time he wants to <grin>

And now news on the other hound: Maggie d'Earest is doing a little better. I
took her to the vet again this morning, fully expecting that I could have to
let her go. After the x-ray, the little tumor on her side has nearly tripled
in size in just 6 weeks. It's no longer little. But at nearly 3" wide, it's
growing way to fast. Maggie also is running a fever - there is some
infection going on that they couldn't specifically identify. We may know
more after the blood work is finished. So we decided to try further pain
meds - Tramadol - and Amoxicillin for the infection. There's two weeks of
meds. If she gets better, we'll take another look at the tumor. If not,
well, even good dogs don't last forever. And Maggie hasn't always been a
good dog. ;)

But the vet informed me Maggie is older than I thought. Their records say
she is 14 years old, not 12. So I think all we're doing here is helping her
be comfortable for awhile longer, but not long enough. It's never long
enough.

Maggie hasn't eaten much for two days. So tonight I fed her. No, she didn't
eat - I fed her: open mouth, insert kibble, close mouth, watch her swallow.
Repeat. Oh - the kibble had yogurt all over it - guess how messy that was!
But that was followed with meds. And later in the evening when I had
visitors to pick up the big hound, Maggie was all happy and got up and
walked around and wagged her tail. She wore out in about 4 or 5 minutes, but
I was really happy to see her picking up some energy.

So, that's all for now - it's wait and see. And maybe I'll start to recover
my own strength soon too.

Tim 'n Puppies
Maggie d'Earest
Leia Round