[Dailydrool] Snoopy today

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 26 10:55:31 PDT 2012

Hi all,

It's the frazzled and clueless momPerson here.  Snoopy appears to be on the
mend, no doubt thanks to all the drool and well wishes from all of you.  THANK
YOU SO MUCH for your kindness, caring and support.  There is NOTHING worse than
having your baby sick.  They can't tell you what's going on and I was pretty
scared.  I don't think we're out of the woods yet though so please keep the
drool coming.

Yesterday Snoopy vomited only once, around 11.  He drank a whole bunch of water
and it didn't sit well on his tummy and it came back up along with part of his
breakfast from earlier.  That is when I called his vet.  Here is something that
might help someone else so I will share it.  When I told my vet that the vomit
had turned a yellow color I was told to give Snoopy pepcid (1 tablet for every
25 lbs, I gave him 2 cause he is under 75 lbs).  It worked WONDERS.  You could
see the look on his face change from pain to relief .... in SECONDS.  And he
didn't vomit again.  He ate a very small dinner (less than 1/2 cup kibble) and
stopped and looked at me like OUCH and I ran for the pepcid and gave him two and
it worked again and he did NOT vomit.  Late in the evening he had a big drink
and gave me the look once again and it worked a third time.  No vomit.  I
googled the pepcid thing and there is posting that the yellow vomit is
indicating excess stomach acid and the pepcid neutralizes it on the spot.  Hope
it helps someone sometime.

So he ate yesterday .... but not a lot.  Maybe a cup of kibble over the whole
day.  And he wouldn't take treats.  He did drink LOTS of water ... probably
dehydrated after all the repeated vomiting the night before.  This morning he
had some diarrhea ... small amount and only once.  Then he didn't seem to want
his kibble so I got out some cooked rice and added it.  He ate about 1/3 of the
kibble and all the rice.  My vet says he might need an easy to digest meal for a
day or two so I got an old steak that had freezer burn out of the freezer and it
is simmering on low in just enough water to cover it.  I will serve that tonight
(1 part drained meat to 2 parts cooked white rice).

The good news is I offered cookies about an hour ago and all 3 dogs trotted into
the kitchen and took one and ate it.  :-)  Go Snoopy!!  He's wagging when you
say his name today.  He looks peaceful and contented snoozing on the couch
behind me.  I'm hopeful.

Thanks again from the clueless momPerson with Snoopy (I had a REAL rough time
the night before last) and Cyrus (he scared us good) and LuLu (he's still kinda
sick)