[Dailydrool] Bassets, Fruit, other breeds

Wendie Prince houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jul 31 16:45:09 PDT 2012

Hi all,
I have enjoyed reading about fruit eating hounds.   We had a big old boy
named Michael.  Michael is an forever will be one of the hugest presences in
our home.
Anyhow,  he was a mess when he came into rescue. Pat and I fostered him for
a while and soon realized he was home and adopted him from SBR.  He at any
given time, had sebaceous cysts all over him.  I would say, 20-30 at a time.
Not all would burst, but they would enlarge and then go down again with
occasional bursts.  Anyhow,  the fruit.  We put everyone in the house on a
raw diet, as the holistic vet suggested this for Michael's skin.  Michael
loved it!    So much,  that we started to call him the Fruitman.     He had
for breakfast, an apple,  a banana, watermelon, cantaloupe,  lettuce,  rice
cakes, various supplements,  blueberries, pumpkin.  You get it,  a mix of
various fruits, but no less than 4 different ones with his breakfast.  He
ate way better than any of us,  and always dove into his bowl and loved it.
Did it help his skin?   Yes,   but never did get rid of all of his cysts.
Michael left us in 2004 of bone cancer.  The ache in our heart is still
huge, and I still hear his beautiful baritone from time to time.   He loved
to sing,  we also called him our crooner.
Sorry, just meant to talk about his love of fruit and went on and on.

Drool to all in need this evening.

wen and the Bounders
www.seniorhoundsabound.org    check us out!
www.bassetshop.com          shop online and help the Bounders