[Dailydrool] Cooking for the houndage

Mary Wilson mary.gabriola at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 14:00:13 PDT 2012

Hi Catherine,

You were asking about cooking for your allergic hound. We started cooking
dog food when we had dear Billy B Basset, who seemed basically to be
allergic to the planet. When he left us, we continued since Paddi B Basset
was so healthy, and have continued with the arrival of Vernon Q Basset.

Our recipe is based on our vet's suggestions. She said 1 part whole grain,
one part meat and 1 part shredded raw veggies. Over time, that has morphed
to:
- approximately 5 pounds of ground meat -- usually beef, sometimes chicken
or pork
- 6 cups dry old-fashioned oatmeal (We've used rice too, but the quantity
is not the same)
- 18 cups water

We cook these things together until a sort of meat porridge results. Once
it is cooled, we stir in
- approximately 5 pounds grated vegetables, usually done in the food
processor or the food grinder. We often use carrots but also sweet potatoes
and sometimes cabbage. Not to be indelicate, but the cabbage makes poop
smell unpleasant!

The vet suggested we add vitamin pills to the mix, which we did for a
while, grinding the pills with the veggies. More recently, since no one has
allergies, we've been feeding them a small amount of kibble s well and
figure that provides the extra vitamins.

Hope this helps! It's a pretty loose recipe, but I'm a pretty loose kind of
cook for us, too!

Mary
for Paddi B and Vernon Q Bassets, both of whom Love their food!