[Dailydrool] Veterinary dentist

Sabrina brii at sprynet.com
Mon Jun 4 16:18:33 PDT 2012

Our Buddy came to rescue at 9, and at that time the rescue vet pulled
8 teeth. He's now 12. He's always been skittish about having anyone
near his mouth, and I've never been able to brush his teeth. He has
bad breath and dirty teeth, so we decided to try the anesthesia-free
dental offered at our vet. We gave Buddy a tranquilizer prescribed by
the vet an hour before his appointment. The hygienist said that he
thinks the tranquilizers take at least 2 hours to work. Well, that
didn't work. With a belly rub, the hygienist got Buddy to lie down on
his side; but when he took Buddy's mouth in hand and tried to open
his mouth, Buddy swung his big head and let out a threatening bellow
that made the hygienist quickly drop his hands. That was about 4
hours ago; now, Buddy is practically unconscious from the
tranquilizer, snoozing at home on his bed.

The hygienist said that from his quick look, Buddy has gingivitis and
very bad teeth. He really needs dental work. Buddy had blood work
last month and the vet said he could have anesthesia, but the dentals
are done by a vet tech. I think that vets (vet techs) generally pull
too many teeth during routine dentals; and Buddy's already missing 8
teeth. I'm considering taking him to a veterinary dentist. It will be
expensive; but Buddy's 12 and has a very bad back; it just seems
safer having the work done by a Board certified veterinary dentist
rather than a vet tech. Has anyone faced this decision?

Sabrina, Buddy + Ellie