[Dailydrool] Rupert: Weird licking thing in middle of night - Advice? Similar Experience?

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 15:25:14 PDT 2012

Last night around 3:45 AM, we awoke to Rupert sitting on the end of
our bed doing this weird breathing/licking thing. It is difficult to
describe but he was licking his lips repeatedly and sounded like he
was trying to catch his breath. It was really strange and I could not
get him to acknowledge me let alone relax back into bed with me. His
saliva was really thick and foamy, almost gel-like.

I sat there with him for several minutes while this continued and then
thought he might puke so we helped him off of the bed. He immediately
ran outside and was frantically looking for grass to munch on.
Unfortunately we have no grass in our current backyard and I pulled
all of the weeds this weekend.

He finally came inside after about 5-10 minutes and then drank at his
water bowl for several minutes. James settled down with him on the
floor where he rested for about 15 minutes before wanting back up onto
our bed. He then slept soundly for the remainder of the night/morning.
He was physically drained and did not even stir this morning when I
left for work - very unlike him as he usually follows me around while
I get ready.

Has anyone experience something like this? I have no idea what
bothered him in the middle of the night but it was definitely
alarming. He seems no worse for wear today, other than being super
tired this morning.

I've been trying to think what was different yesterday that may have
contributed but can't really come up with anything. He ate his normal
dinner around 7pm and then rested all evening while we were awake. The
only thing he ate different yesterday than most days was the 3 at
turds he scored on his walk...

Thanks in advance and drool to all,
Kacy with Cowboy and Rupert