[Dailydrool] Morse, Diazepam and fits

Rebecca Stanton stumpypaws at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 9 11:13:48 PDT 2012

After Morse's last fit, we took him to the vets. They have given us 2 syringes of Diazepam, to be given to him via tail pipe if the fits persist for more than 3 mins. If the first doesn't bring him out of his fit within a couple of minutes then we are to follow up with the second syringe of Diazepam. If that doesn't bring him out of the fit then we have to call the vet. Have any other droolers been recommended Diazepam for their bassets? Another thing is that when Morse fits we have been holding his head so he doesn't bang it, and trying to hold his paws as he really gets gnarled up and we thought it would help. The vet however thinks that is not a good idea, and if anything as they are so hypersensitive while fitting, contact with him may even prolong the fit. She has advised us to just make sure he is comfy with a padded area around him and just let him fit. She said that actually they don't hit their heads hard. It will be difficult to do as I am so
 used to holding him, bless his heart, but I shall just have to refrain from  now on. Will still continue to talk gently to him throughout the fit.
Drool to all in need
Becky, Morse and Pumbaa ATB