[Dailydrool] Morse, Diazepam and fits

Wendie Prince houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jun 9 14:51:17 PDT 2012

Becky,
We had had 5 hounds here over the years with seizures issues.
Our big guy, Michael, had them the worst.  His were not frequent enough that
the vet wanted to put him on meds, but they were severe.
And yes,  we had syringes of valium in the medicine chest for him to be
given rectally if he went over, I think 2 minute in his seizure.  Boy, do
those stop them fast!  Of course, they will sleep for a while afterwards.
Some hounds come out of seizures differently.  One of ours, it seem to take
her a day to sort of get back to normal,  Buddy Love, while he has not had
one for over a year or so,  comes out of them very fast.  Just depends how
hard they are, and the dog.   I do not have any more syringes in the
medicine chest as we do not have any hounds that have really bad seizures,
but I would not hesitate to use it if you needed to.
Trouble is,  you hope you are home when they have one.  It is always a worry
for me.
As far as holding them,  was never told not to hold them, or that touch
could be a sensitive thing for them in that state.
I think I probably have held each one through a seizure I was present with.
Maybe I did more harm than good,  don't know.
Hope Morse does just fine here on out.

wen and the Bounders
www.seniorhoundsabound.org    check us out!
www.bassetshop.com          shop online and help the Bounders