[Dailydrool] DES

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 03:57:41 PDT 2012

Umm. This is what I found in a very brief run through Google for "Des  in
dogs" and my conclusion would have to be yes, DES could certainly screw up
blood results and might change the interpretation of those results if the
Vet is unaware that the dog is taking it:

"*Precautions and Side Effect*
While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian,
diethylstilbestrol can cause side effects in some animals.
 Diethlystilbestrol should not be used in animals with known
hypersensitivity or allergy <javascript: void(0);> to the drug.
 Diethlystilbestrol may interact with other medications. Consult with your
veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could
interact with DES.
Diethylstilbestrol should never be used in pregnant animals.
Estrogens at excessive doses, or in very susceptible animals, can depress
the bone marrow, reducing the number of blood cells. This leads to
decreased formation of platelets (needed for clotting), depressed white
blood cell count (needed to fight infection), and reduced red blood cells
(anemia). These effects can be prolonged or irreversible and fatal.
 Symptoms of an adverse effect include lethargy, depression, pale mucous
membranes, abnormal vaginal discharge, loss of appetite and bleeding from
the gastrointestinal and urinary tract.
 Diethylstilbestrol can also increase the risk of uterine infections
(pyometra) when given to intact (unspayed) female dogs.
Animals receiving therapy with DES should be monitored monthly by a
veterinarian.
 Diethylstilbestrol has been involved in cases of immune mediated
thrombocytopenia<http://www.petplace.com/dogs/thrombocytopenia-in-dogs/page1.aspx>in
dogs."

I have never had a dog on it, nor would I really want to use it but I
suppose I would if Doc recommended it. It used to be used more than it is,
now, I believe. I could be wrong.(Shocking though that thought may be.)
This is just my opinion coupled with a quickie stroll through the
resources.

(Usually when we get a test back with a wonkie level, Doc will either say
it is because of this, that we gave him --some medicine that I can neither
pronounce or afford-- and it will be ok when he is off the drug, or "Wow,
we need to look at his kidneys again a little more closely. Let's
do------------" and there follows some procedure which I cannot spell or
afford.)

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis and Conley who have had their breakfast and want
no part of a conversation about Veterinary Medicine.