[Dailydrool] For Arlene with hungry Charlie

V. Tata-Phillips my4hounds at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 14 03:55:46 PDT 2012

We have just lived through this with our Tiffin from BROOD.  Tiffin had been stray and even after his time in foster care, came to us with every rib showing.  They had been working on his food aggression, but it took some time with us.  We feed him (still) in his crate as it is his safety zone and none of the other hounds can even approach  him with his precious meals.  We did have fights over toys and treats and even sticks in the yard when he first arrived. We picked up all the toys and have yet to scatter them around the house again.  We give treats individually - just need to make sure everyone is calm and can see that they will get one and no hound will be left out.  We were not able to treat Tiffin in the same room as anyhound else at first - now, 6 months later, we can.  I can't say he is gentle taking them, but neither does he take a hand off!  We often toss them after calling the individual hound's name and they catch them, which is kinda cute. It ought to get better for you and Charlie when the memory of going hungry lessens - it certainly has for Tiffin! Good luck! On another note, we have added a Wirehair Dachshund mix to our pack, Audrey from Fuzzy Faces Rescue.  So although my e-mail is still My4Hounds, there are now 6 living at the Basset Plantation!

GinnyTata-Phillips, co-author of DOGKU, PETKU , RESKU , HORSEKU, BIRDKU and DUFFY TO THE RESCUE with TOM SCHRECK! www.gspotsylvania.wordpress.com/