[Dailydrool] Sweenie to the Bridge

froggie froggie0310 at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 16 10:21:04 PDT 2012

Hey, Droolers.  It's been a long time since we had time to read the Drool or
post anything.  Being a full time teacher takes up soooo much of my time!
Anyway, for the first time in 16 years, we are a 2 basset family :(  Our Sweenie
girl, adopted as a foster failure from Bluegrass Basset Rescue, had an
obstruction that, given the location, posed too great an issue for resection and
her age--which was at least 12.  We only had her 4 years....she came to us a
thrown away basset in Louisville with a huge hernia and a penchant for
swallowing odd things (ties, ballet shoes) and vomiting them back up.  She
low-crawled around my house for 6 months, terrified of everyone but my girls in
whose room she slept.  On Sunday, June 3rd, she was doing really bad so we took
her to the emergency vet, who stabilized her so I could take her to our vet in
the morning.  She was awake when we said goodbye for the night, and in the
morning, she was walking but in obvious distress.  When my vet called with the
bad news, I texted my oldest, Joshua, and asked if he wanted to come say goodbye
to her.  He said yes, even though he has long complained about how badly she
smells [poop eater], so I picked him up, got my 2 younger ones (Bridget is in KY
visiting but I made her say goodbye to Sween the morning she got on the plane
just in case, given her age, and even though she wasn't ill at all) and drove to
the clinic.  They had her under anesthesia in the same room the Grand Old Man
Rusty Paws had been just 6 1/2 years ago...we kissed her goodbye and let her go
to the Bridge where she met up with the only other female basset we ever had,
Nellie.  We had adopted Sween in July 2008 when Nellie passed away.  I know she
met up with our fosters she knew who have gone to the Bridge--Grandma, Grandpa
and Sasha--and she got to meet Nellie, Sammy, Bert, Barney, Solomon, and Bianca,
and, of course Rusty Paws.  I can't say my house is quieter, for all the old
girl ever did was sleep, but I WILL miss letting her out of her crate when I got
home from work and have her do the Basset 500 lap once around the house before
running straight out the backdoor to pee :)

Sween
? 2000 - 4 June 2012

Susan and the San Antonio Bassets
Murphy and Jeremiah