[Dailydrool] Eating grass voraciously

Onslow Basset onslowbasset at roadrunner.com
Sun Jun 17 16:11:59 PDT 2012

I know I've asked about this before... but the problem is getting worse and I really need advice. Onslow loves to eat grass. I mean LOVES to eat grass. Does it almost compulsively. This is not an occasional thing when his tummy is upset - as other dogs will do. This is every time he's out and huge big divots of grass that he will pull up and chew up and swallow if you don't manage to pull it out of his mouth in time.

He's been doing this for a few years now, but now it seems the grass isn't agreeing with him like it used to.  Now about once every 3 weeks, after eating a clump of grass, he will pace and drool and pace and drool. The first time he did this we thought he might be bloating and took him to the vet. He was not bloating, but did have a lot of gas in his intestines. The vet gave us a pill to give him to help with that which works pretty well. But when you end up giving it to him fairly regularly - like once every three weeks - it becomes more and more worrisome.

Now my next concern is that we are moving end of July and Onslow will finally have his own fenced in yard where he will be able to spend more time and not be on a leash. He will be able to graze to his heart's delight and his stomach's woe!  He loves to be outside but currently he is only outside on a leash.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I might discourage him from devouring grass?
Is it perhaps possible to make the grass taste bad?
I've asked the vet if there could be something lacking in Onslow's diet that makes him crave the grass but they didn't have any ideas.

Onslow is on a special diet for allergies - Wellness white fish & sweet potato formula.

thanks for any and all ideas - please email us directly at onslowbasset at roadrunner.com.

Sue & Brian Stevens
Springboro, OH