[Dailydrool] BBR in Shelter Challenge

Susan Intessimone sintessimone at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 18 12:02:11 PDT 2012

Having started Bluegrass Basset Rescue, Inc., I may be partial to it,
but nonetheless, I would like people to consider it for the next
challenge.  We have been saving bassets for 11 years (well, I did it on
my own from 2001-2002 when I first moved to KY) and on a shoestring
budget.  I have done everything possible on my own to raise money
(making things to sell/auction, offering exclusively designed t-shirts,
begging for donations, etc...)  We have never had more than a handful of people at any one given time working to save the bassets, but have persevered.  In
many cases, rescuing a basset meant literally a day's drive--8 hours ONE WAY--and we never even left the state!!  In KY dogs are considered
property and the abuse cases we see are horrible.  Poppy was found--unbelievably alive--with a severe neck injury first though to be an imbedded collar but later thought to be the result of having been
tied up with baling wire.  The ligaments or tendons (I don't remember
which) were visible, that's how deep the laceration was.  She was one of the happiest bassets I ever fostered :)  We are grateful to other
rescue groups--Mid-Atlantic, New England, GABR, MBR---and so many others
who have helped us throughout the years.  Organizing events is difficult as the volunteers live hours apart.  When I lived in KY (for a total of 6 1/2 years in 2 different locations), the closest I ever was to
anybody else helping was an hour and a half.  Foster homes are VERY few
and VERY far between--the reason I had 20 dogs in my house (16 as
fosters and one we were babysitting for a deployed soldier as well as my 3) in 2007.  I am now in Texas and can't do much but try to fund raise
for BBR--so please consider us!

Susan and the San Antonio Bassets
Murphy and Jeremiah
www.bluegrassbassetrescue.org