[Dailydrool] Eating grass

Nancy nancykay9 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 18:32:31 PDT 2012

I'll be interested in the responses from other Droolers, too. All of our bassets have always eaten a lot of grass, just as a matter of course, all the time, not just for an upset tummy.  In the last year, though, Frank has symptoms like you've described, with the pacing and drooling and pacing and drooling, very uncomfortable, but not bloating.

We haven't decided if it's because of grass, or if something else (possibly deer poop) is the cause and eating grass is a passing result. Infant simethicone anti-gas drops help the most, but he and we are miserable usually for a couple of hours.

We have restricted his diet to only his kibble and occasional dog biscuits, and we still can't really nail down the cause of his gastric problems. It happens about 2-3 times a month, seems pretty random.

I hope Onslow doesn't get into too much trouble in your new house! If it's any consolation, Frank doesn't eat our lawn; he seems to prefer the long-bladed grass that grows in clumps, sort of in the shade, more in the woods.

Nancy, owned by Frank the Tank and Tina-Weena