[Dailydrool] Dog eyesight

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 18 20:37:38 PDT 2012

We are sending drool to Brudder Jake. Bev, could you tell us more about night blindness? And, everyone, what are the rule-outs on failing eyesight? Our hound, Bo, seems to be losing his sight as well, slowly, year by year. He does not have cataracts and he does not have glaucoma. He appears to see light and dark and movement close up (like within a foot of his face) but not farther away. In the past few months I have noticed him wandering from room to room looking for me sometimes, and he will walk right by me. When I call his name or clap my hands, he is able to hone in on the sound and come to me. He does not seem unhappy or in any pain. Sometimes he gets lost under our house (our house is on stilts) and lets out a bellow, and I will go out and call him and then he finds his way without difficulty. Bo is 9. He is on longterm antibiotics (Metronidazole) and intestine-specific steroids (Budesonide) for his ulcerative colitis, which is now well
 controlled. A full physical and senior panel two months ago showed him in good health other than the ulcerative colitis. Bo has always been afraid of the dark, even when his vision was fine. Any ideas on what might be happening? Thank you all. Val