[Dailydrool] Stepping Back

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 04:27:11 PDT 2012

I want to make it clear that I made a lucky guess with Jake Winchester and
his eyes-- that is what popped into my fevered and UNTRAINED mind when
Debbie began talking about his behavior. Hey, that sounds as if he can't
see well!
You all know your dogs. You watch them constantly. When a dog changes
behavior it is my belief that unless you are teaching it to him then he has
a reason all his own. Sometimes it is social, and sometimes it is physical.

Since my orientation is toward medicine, I always look in that direction
first. When I take one of the boys in, I may have an idea what is going on,
and i may be totally, 100%, completely incorrect. Has happened more than
once.

I knew a little about night blindness because I used to work with a Collie
breeder, and PRA was, at the time, prevalent in the breed.
I know I cannot see as well at night as I used to, a product of aging. But
I know so little. I know enough to be dangerous, and not enough to charge
money. (When I went to college the Vet schools were still not accepting
women.)

Watch your dogs and understand what is normal for them, and never ignore
that cold, sinking feeling of dread when you begin to see something off,
something that you think is wrong. See your Vet. Better to err on the good
side than the bad.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis and Conley