[Dailydrool] dental health in our babies and senior basset calendar news

Wendie Prince houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jun 22 13:53:16 PDT 2012

So glad you got Lulu a dental,  sounds like she really needed it.

I do believe that dental disease can bring our hounds down very fast.  Sad
to say, I learned this the hard way, with my Sunny.  We, the vet and myself,
believe that an abscessed tooth is what shut down her body.  Sunny was a
senior, but IMO,  did not have to leave me so soon.  Had I been more aware
of dental disease and how is its toxins can poison the body, I might have
had Sunny for longer.
Even with older hounds,  most can undergo dentals with no other concerns
than you might have with a younger hound.  Certainly discuss anesthesia with
your vet, ours uses propofol(sp) (same stuff that MJ died from...only given
in a manner in which it supposed to be given to the hounds)
 They wake up quickly from this one, which makes me feel better.  Also, our
vet is very good with managing pain for them if teeth have been taken out.
You can always check around and find someone to do it less than where you
might normally go,   our vet is not cheap on a dental, but I know the hounds
is being monitored the whole time,  and being very well cared for.  I have
had hounds come in from other rescues, having had a dental right before they
came to me and I have to scratch my head and ask why teeth were left in,
when, if clear to me they should come out, they should have come out.
Granted,  the older ones usually come in with a set of very bad teeth!

Anyhow,  all this to say,  is dental health is very important,   have their
teeth checked!
Off the soap box now.

August starts entries into the Senior Basset calendar for 2013!   Start
taking some calendar poses of your seniors!  Only 7 yrs. and up can enter,
you young ones can enter when you grow up!
The Senior Basset calendar put out by Senior Houndsabound has been given
many complements by you all.  So Seniors,  get you folks to send in a
picture in August and enter you for your chance to grace a month in 2013!

Drool being slung low, high and all over for those in need.

wen and the Bounders
www.seniorhoundsabound.org    check us out!
www.bassetshop.com          shop online and help the Bounders