[Dailydrool] Perplexed

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Mon Jun 25 06:10:48 PDT 2012

C. Dexter Haven here, from the knee well under mama's desk. I'm holed up were because yesterday my wonderful humans did a terrible thing. They brought home a little girl basset. She is so cute, and she smells really good, but I just don't know what to do with her. She's taking over MY home!

Mama tells me she is not staying. She has a new human who will be taking her in ten days. But what do I do for all that time? She will be lying on my bed, eating my treats and food.

I know the humans don't need another hound. Why would they do this to me, when I was doing such a good job of filling their hearts? I am
Perplexed in NJ

[Note from the mama: Yes, we took in Bailey for ten days. No, she is not staying, because she has a great home to go to at the end of that time.

Dexter is so funny. He reminds me of a scene in the film ANNE OF GREEN GABLES, in which Anne and her adoptive father, Matthew, are talking. Anne asks painfully shy Matthew if he ever courted a girl, and he says, no, because he would have had to talk to the girl. That's pretty much Dexter's situation. Bailey is at the end of her heat, and surely she smells good to him, but he can hardly bring himself near enough to sniff at her.

Dexter acts as if we have betrayed him, but he is getting some extra loving to get him over that idea. Still, he's not keen on having another dog here and is clearly taking the bottom of the pack position. He is just so sweet, but hasn't a bit of self-esteem. I feel so bad for him.
Pam the Dashing Basset Food slave]