[Dailydrool] Science Diet Z/D

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 12:21:12 PDT 2012

Well, we just survived a scary little scenario with Science Diet Z/D.
Since I have encouraged people to give it a try in the past, I thought I
would share my experience.  Bugsey, my little king of allergies and ear
infections, was put on Z/D a couple of months back when his ears were
looking way better when he was eating the Z/D than the lamb and rice.  So,
we quit rotating his food and put him on a strickly Z/D diet.  At first
everything was going really well.  Then he started losing weight.  The vet
told me I wasn't feeding him enough.  I told the vet I was feeding him the
same amount I had been feeding him for the past year with no problems, but
I increased his food. Next thing I know, he is losing muscle--on his head,
shoulders, hips.  I e-mailed Sandi.  Sandi said quit dinking around and
call the vet.  I called the vet.  He says that is really interesting
because I just got a report that some dogs can't absorb the protein in Z/D,
but get him in here and lets make sure it isn't something else.  So, I got
Bugsey in there and they drew blood and got urine and he was fine on those,
but the vet was in shock at how much muscle he had lost.  So I was given
instructions to put him on a food with 25-30% protein and to bring him back
in a month.  I forgot to mention that Bugsey hadalso turned into a slug.
Well, I couldn't find a food with that much protein (remember the boy is
allergic to A LOT of foods).  I did find one with 24% and then I am putting
canned salmon on top.  He thinks he has died and gone to heaven and I need
to find the hair scrunchies to put up his ears or I am going to think I
have died and gone the opposite way from the smell.  It took about three
days, but he is now back to being his usual active self.  I am very
relieved.  I was scared spitless.

Meanwhile, I have Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn sending heart healing drool
to eveeryone that has lost a hound and to all the sick hounds.  I am
sending prayers.

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn