[Dailydrool] Basset Hounds and snakes!

Brenda Slone-Vasquez pippaslone at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 13:33:43 PDT 2012

I have recently moved and my girls Pippa Girl (basset) and Daisy Mae (
bagel) now have a fenced area to enjoy! Everything was going great until
yesterday when a Copperhead almost got Pippa Girl. Thank God I went out to
check on them and Pippa Girl was intensely looking at something, NOT
barking and NOT trying to get away. I then saw a large Cooperhead starting
to coil around to strike. I started screaming and running like a crazy
person and my brother-in-law was close by who also came running and
eventually killed it, but I had to drag Pippa Girl away from it. Now I am
scared to death to let them in the yard. My questions are, is it instinct
for a dog to not fear a snake, what can I do if they get bitten by one, and
is there anything I can do to keep the snakes away?

Thanks in advance for any helpful anwers!

Brenda, Pippa Girl (I'm not afraid of a little ole snake), Daisy Mae (if it
doesn't involve food, I could care less)