[Dailydrool] Hounds and Snakes - response

basset911 at aol.com basset911 at aol.com
Fri Jun 29 09:42:54 PDT 2012

Well I know that can't breath feeling of a snake and a hound (or human or any other canine...)
When Daphneyland was becoming a reality back in 2002, being a city girl I got very proactive as the area we are in is snake country. (Los Angeles has very few A-2 zoned properties left anymore, so we're all out here where we can live with our furkids - but fires, snakes and critters are a factor). For me I realized it was not a matter of if, but when. We don't have Copperheads in CA, we do have the Mojave Green Rattlesnake, along with 9 other varieties of rattlers.  The Mojave is the most deadly snake in North America and there is no antivenim.

I called many old existing kennels in this area as well as around the country to ask about snake prevention and treatment options. There were some that work...
1.  Product called Serpent Guard.  Used at gold courses to keep snakes out of the greens, non toxic spray on natural: Problem; must be reapplied after rain.
2.  Taking a metronome, placing it in a covered coffee can, setting it then burying it every 30 feet along your fence line. (motion causes ground movement - snake deterent) The oldtimers love this.
3.  Fence line product called snake wire.  Expensive and most snakes do not come across the ground, they use rodent holes. Somewhat effective.
4.  Making a habit of using a leaf rake daily to disturb and make noise along ground, patio and walkways - again, disturbing the crawlie things to stay away.

Another thing I learned and have used very effectively is the homeopathic toxin treatments coupled with vitamin C injection.  Every snake season the local vets and rescuers send Mojave/Rattlesnake victims up here so I can instruct them how to use the protocols.  In 10 years and multiple strikes annually, we have not lost a dog yet. The protocol works, but you must be prepared in advance, you will not have time nor the ability to run out and buy this.  If you are interested in receiving the protocol, email me.  Basset911 at aol.com
Talk to your vet as well - the protocol is not meant to be used instead of vet care (although it does work).

Another item I would highly recommend for people like me, who HAVE to handle snakes but don't want to - is a "5-6 Foot Snake Tong" and a metal trash can with tight fitting lid.
Once you learn how to rod a snake, can it - then you can call whomever wrangles snakes in your area, knowing your babies are safe.  I tie the snake can to a fenceline so winds can not knock it over.  Word of caution: Do NOT label it Snake Can or every 12-50 year old boy will be opening that can. (Trust me on this one, I have experience at this).

10 years.  In ten years and thousands of hounds we have only had 3 incidents on our own dogs - 2 were fire driven related. Zero deaths.  We do however handle many, MANY cases locally to neighbors and friends.  Be prepared, know what to do, and DO IT!

Dawn of the West
Basset Rescue Network at Daphneyland
www.daphneyland.com
www.facebook.com/daphneyland