[Dailydrool] Basset Hounds and Snakes

Rkbeard at aol.com Rkbeard at aol.com
Fri Jun 29 16:24:51 PDT 2012

I have had very good luck with the Rattlesnake vaccine--and it also works
with copperheads.  In fact, I have at least two dogs who were bitten by
copperheads after having the vaccine, and they had almost no reaction to the
bite.  It seems to work really well with copperhead venom.  I also
immediately give any dog that is bitten by a snake a couple of benedryl caps or
tabs, and take it to the vet--where it usually gets a shot of antibiotics--seems
 snake bite can cause a nasty infection.  I have had a couple of dogs get
quite a bit of swelling, but I have never had one get really sick since I
started using the vaccine.

Needless to say--we have a lot of copperheads in East Texas--along with a
very few rattlesnakes and cotton-mouthed moccasins.  I have never had a dog
die from snakebite.

Kathryn Beard