[Dailydrool] takes one to know one

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 6 19:29:19 PST 2012

All this talk about people saving money but shorting their dogs care has me
upset.  It's wrong, its stupid and it's penny wise and pound foolish, IMHO.

So, I know clueless when I see clueless.  Ok, ok, so as many people keep
implying I might not be completely clueless.  I actually know a fur piece about
dogs in general, it's bassets in particular that confound me.  Anyway, I was at
the dog park last Friday with Cyrus (Greg had Snoopy at the mens club) and this
gentleman showed up with a 5 month old puppy wearing the cone of shame.  Well,
the puppy was charging around and several dogs snapped at him because they were
afraid of the cone.  So, we told the gentleman, please remove that while he is
in the dog park.  And the man said ... "oh, can't do that, he was just neutered
2 days ago."  Seriously, that's what he said.  And at that moment the pup got
severely snarked at and in his efforts to escape he shattered the buster collar
on a wooden bench.  Someone grabbed the pup ... now wearing a jagged, sharp
edged thing and the guy actually started trimming pieces of plastic off trying
to make it less sharp.  At this point people started insisting, remove that
collar or leave!

I called Cyrus and put him on lead.  I approached the man and the pup and said
"Sir, I am not a vet but I have been through a number of neuters and I have
always been told to limit activity for a week to avoid swelling and
complications.  The man said to me "we were told to limit his jumping and
stretching.  I believe letting him run and play with other dogs is fine."  And
he continued to trim the buster collar rather than remove it.

Cyrus and I left, along with all of the regulars in the dog park.  What in the
WORLD was this man thinking?  He is so lucky that no dog smelled the wound and
went after the pup.  The pup will be lucky to have a long full life in the care
of such idiots (pardon my bluntness).

The fact is that there are levels of cluelessness.  Some things go beyond the
pale.  In the end I believe we should all be going to vets we trust, telling
them the complete and unabridged truth, and following their advice.  My husband
always said if you don't agree with the pediatrician then find another one.  But
its foolish to pay for professional advice and services and then ignore them.

Scary stuff considering I am the CLUELESS momPerson.  Imagine what I'd have to
say if I had a clue!!