[Dailydrool] Humming with the chicken

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 15:08:53 PST 2012

Basset noises never cease to amaze me. We have been adopted by a feral hen. There is a perfectly round kitty-sized hole cut in our chain link fence in the backyard. This hole has been there since before we moved in. Cats come and go through the hole. We don't mind--they hunt mice, and the hounds like cats. A few weeks ago a hen came through the hole and has stayed ever since. She has laid 6 eggs so far by the tree under our porch. I have never heard a rooster in our neighborhood so I don't think we'll have chicks.

The hen (Harriet) 'sings'. Not cluck cluck cluck, but a kind of melodic humming like a lullaby. One of our hounds, Harley, has started singing with Harriet. He has started humming too--sort of like a very low whine, but with no urgency at all. The two of them are singing duets. Hum--hmmm-umm-hmmm. Rather sweet. Bo sleeps through it.