[Dailydrool] Raising Puppies is a REAL Pain!

Tim Mayer tcm541 at embarqmail.com
Wed Mar 7 18:22:16 PST 2012

Okay, it's official. Raising puppies hurts.

Being a good daddy to the new puppy, I take him out in the middle of the
night (since I'm up once or twice anyway!)

Well, last night, a little after 1:00 AM, I open up his crate and point him
out the door. The weather has turned. It's about 23 degrees out - that's no
joke. Silly boy says - "Well, are you coming or not?" and stands at the top
of the ramp. I step out, hoping he'll turn and go and I can duck back in. No
joy. So I head out the door to walk down the ramp and get Dexter out to the
grass. Well, the cold weather frosted the ramp. It's dark - I don't see
that. Halfway down the ramp in my bath robe and Birkenstocks.well, you
guessed it. Great big "FFWUMMMPP" as I go down flat on my back. And of
course, certain noises are rapidly expelled from my mouth. Loudly. And not
the prettiest words either. So the little boy goes all "panic attack" on me
and cowers and hides and tries to go hide back in the house. So I spent the
next 10 minutes comforting the pup, on my butt, in the freezing cold, until
I can get him to come down and piddle. Then of course I couldn't get back to
sleep. I was in so much pain I could hardly lay down. Or sit. Or stand up.
All day long I've hurt from me teeth to me toes!

But that's not all! Dexter is in pain too.

Today started off bad for him. No breakfast. Trip to the vet first thing in
the morning. He's freaked out. Whimpers and shakes and submissive cowering.
Boy, he doesn't even know the worst of it yet!

Anyway he's home and stretched on the old comforter on the living room
floor, wearing a funny plastic thing around his head. He is NOT a happy
camper though. But thankfully he came through without any issues, and made
everyone in the office fall madly in love with him. When I picked him up, he
wasn't flinching or shaking or submissive at all - he wanted to meet
everyone and all the dogs and especially the fuzzy wittle wabbit.

Today's vet visit: neutering ($47.50, includes surgery, meds and full day in
the hospital), microchip ($35), heartworm test - negative ($12.00). Did I
mention I love my vet?

Just another day in the life of Dexter and his daddy.

Tim and the White City Hound Pack

Maggie d'Earest, Leia Round and Dexter "Snip 'n Chip"