[Dailydrool] No news is good news!

Tim Mayer tcm541 at embarqmail.com
Tue Mar 13 19:54:08 PDT 2012

Okay - update on Dexter Doodles: no news is good news! The sweet little boy
has been almost no trouble at all for the last few days. Mostly that's
because I'm either right there with him, or he's in his crate. So this
update isn't funny like most of what I get to share.

Anyway, here's how things are going: when I go to work in the morning,
Dexter goes in the crate with a Kong with peanut butter, and a few other
toys. He really, really hates it. But it's what I have to do. Then I come
home at lunch and get him out. When I go back to work, there's no crate. I
shut the utility room door, with the dogs on the other side. They have
access to outside and the one room. The room isn't entirely puppy-proof: he
got the little box of plastic trash can liners from on top of the dryer and
perforated all the bags (he's really tall for a puppy  - likely to be a
counter-cruiser, I'm afraid). And he likes to grab the edges of the old
beater throw rug and chew that up, but not really a lot. The last couple of
days he hasn't chewed on the walls or anything like that. I'm really, really
pleased with how this is going.

And "Doggie Manners I" class starts in a week or so. This evening I needed
to run into town and get my hair cut, so for fun I dropped Dexter off at
Mom's house. She got to spend time with him, and her little dog Zack got
some good play time too. It went very well. I'm working a lot on
socialization - going places with me, meeting people and other pets. This is
all going very well too.

I'm running into one issue, that doesn't distress me much, it's just
difficult. He likes to poop UNDER the deck. Guess what? I don't bend very
well. Cleaning up under the deck is a real difficult thing to do. For now
I'm using a garden rake, upside down, and sliding it under and dragging it
out. But it keeps falling off. Oh well. I think I'll end up grabbing some
light boards and framing it in, and covering with chicken wire. Eventually
I'll finish it off nice, but I don't have the cash to do that now.

I think he goes under the deck may be from some 'severe' house-breaking at
the previous owners. If they were hard on him, he may be trying to hide it.
He won't defecate when I'm out in the yard. That does cause me some concern,
because if we're traveling, I usually take my dogs out on-leash for potty
breaks. So I'm going to have to work on this. I will get a chance to address
this with the trainer in the puppy classes, but there's a lot of experience
out there - any suggestions?

Tim and the White City Hound Pack

Maggie d'Earest, Leia Round and Dexter Doodles