[Dailydrool] Bassets Squabbling

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 18:34:23 PDT 2012

 Hi Christine,
    Dale is absolutely right.  Bassets are extremely vocal and squabble quite a bit.  The behavior rarely ever escalates into an actual fight.  Some bassets are also touchier then others.  I have a boy Beau who another dog cannot offend.  He doesn't mind anyone nuzzling him or bumping him but Luke and Fancy are another story.  They chortle, gurgle, snap, growl, and basset scream if anyone takes their spot, looks at their food, bumps into them or gives them the skunk eye.  They would never growl at a person but they don't take any guff off another dog EVER!  and the offenses are many!!!!!  I think your boys will be fine if they are both neutered.  My boy, Luke, has launched himself across the room growling, snapping, and screaming at my Newf boy, Gideon.  If you didn't know bassets you would be terrified and think the 180 pound Newf would tear him apart.  Gideon just ignores him and keeps walking as Luke bounces off his chest.  Gideon
 ignores the basset nonsense and Luke is thoroughly neutered so Gideon doesn't care.  My Newfs and Saint know the bassets are loud mouths full of beans!!!!
Marie Campbell
Man Plans ~ God Laughs