[Dailydrool] Free feeding and those hungry basset eyes

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 16:38:47 PDT 2012

I can just imagine free feeding around here. Holly would be the size of a blimp--and Dexter wouldn't be far behind, I fear, except that he likes exercise and would be dragging me out the door to get the weight off again. Jane, who is always slim, wouldn't add a pound, though she might spend a lot of time defending the food she'd identified as hers. I think free feeding is partly a matter of the personalities of the dogs you have. Certainly it's not an option in this household!

Tonight, as I was making my dinner, the bassets joined me in the kitchen. All three watched me carefully as I sliced and diced. I started to tell them that I didn't need six basset eyes watching my food. Then I looked down at sweet Dexter, who was right at my feet, and realized my mistake. Dex has only one eye, because he lost one to glaucoma. So while most people with three dogs have six eyes trained on them, I have only five.

This isn't the first time I've thought of Dex as having both eyes. I do it all the time. He's such a normal hound that I never remember that he's lacking one eye, except when I have to give him eye drops three times a day. With that single eye, he can give the Look as well as any perfectly sighted basset--or maybe even better, because he's just so appealing.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets