[Dailydrool] epilespy

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 13:29:23 PDT 2012

Hi Nancy,
    Epilepsy can be caused by a myriad of things: head injury, chemical exposure, neurological hereditary defects, brain tumor, thyroid disease, Addisons, Cushings, unique neurological problems to a particular dog and allot of other things.  If the dog only has seizures a couple of times a year, most vets do recommend that you do nothing BUT if this is a constant and frequent problem it must be dealt with.  Humans and animals can die from Grand Mal seizures.  I would call the local veterinary college and get a consult from a veterinary neurologist ASAP!  The puppy will need both a neurological work up and a full blood work up to determine if all organs are working as they should be.
    This will be an expensive prospect and may take a fair amount of medical detective work.  After all is said and done, I would also get a consult from a Holistic vet to see if the epilepsy can be controlled more naturally through diet, homeopathy, and acupuncture.
    God Bless your niece and please let us know what happens to the puppy,
Marie Campbell

Man Plans ~ God Laughs