[Dailydrool] Mosquito season commences

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Mon Mar 19 10:05:23 PDT 2012

AAACK!  I have already been bit.  The spring is the best time for season-long mosquito control.  If you kill 'em now, they can't breed more later.  This has been an exceptionally warm and wet winter, and an early wet spring here in Michigan.  Save yourself and your dogs lots of misery by going to the local feed store or TSC location (tractor supply store) or even going to K-mart or Walmart and buying mosquito dunkers.  These are toss packs of BT (bacillus thuringei) which is harmless to your pets, wildlife or fish, and put one in EVERY STANDING WATER location on your property.  Costs about $10.00 for 8 donuts of the BT, which kills mosquito larvae before it can hatch into flying vampires.  I throw some into the drainage ditches across the road from me, in the neighbor's yard, and in the multiple low spots in my yard.  You can't hurt your furkids with this, but you CAN help kill the heartworm transmitting mosquitos!

Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!