[Dailydrool] Problem child afraid of the dark

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 17:16:48 PDT 2012

Hi Dale,
We have one who is also afraid of the dark and will not set a foot outside the house unless accompanied by a human, no matter how many lights are installed. We have a doggie door to a fenced yard that allows 24/7 access to the yard. To add injury to insult, this dog has chronic ulcerative colitis and is permanently on a steroid variant (Budesonide, which is like slow release prednisone that dissolves in the intestines rather than the stomach, so its systemic effects are less). But the peeing side effect is the same. Consequently, Bo needs to pee about every 3 hours, day and night. This makes his situation a little different than Lulu's. Our solution has been diapers at night. What a godsend.

But I think that if Lulu is capable of lasting through the night, you are in a whole different ballpark. Is keeping Lulu in a small area at night an option? (an x-pen next to the bed or a crate) That might help. Good luck, Val, Bo (I'm quite comfortable in my diaper suit at night--beats going out), and Harley