[Dailydrool] Eating Mulch

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Wed Mar 21 06:24:20 PDT 2012

A kind drooler brought up a point and I thought I better clarify.  I did state that Bugsey and Browyn are eating mulch.  They are, and lots of it.  I think I need to clarify that in general this can be a very bad and dangerous practice.  Some mulches are very toxic to dogs, especially the cocoa mulches.  I would also worry about the cedar mulches because of the phenols and the dyed stuff because who knows what it was dyed with and I really doubt they use a dye approved for consumption.  Mulch also comes in lots of sizes and depending on the size, it could really cause a nasty obstruction.  Hubby and I use shredded cypress.  When Hubby puts it out, he pulls out any chunks that he thinks might cause a problem and he uses those in the front yard in the "orchard".  I am still not advocating "letting" your dogs eat mulch, but then I doubt many of you "let" your dogs counter cruise or eat poop either.  It just happens and life is short.  We have to choose our battles.  I did want you to know though that we make every effort to head off any problems from this not so great habit.  You would think that with all the fiber Bugsey gets from his mulch he wouldn't have anal glad issues, but alas no.  He is the king of the Metamucil, pumpkin, green bean, kibble stew.

Jennifer, slave to Beauford (I get the same stew too), Bugsey and Browyn (I don't and I am a princess what is wrong here!)