[Dailydrool] Any experience with cystoscopy and/or episioplasty surgery?

Patti Merlo belleheidi at msn.com
Wed Mar 21 17:02:18 PDT 2012

Once again we turn to the drool family to see if anyone has had any
experience or knows of anyone that has lived through a cystoscopy and/or
episioplasty surgery for their pets. We are faced with a tough decision,
Heidi our 11-1/2 yr. old has had recurring UTI's and is becoming resistant
to some of the antibiotics.  Usually when we do the cysto tap it has come
back with e-coli.  We just treated one a few weeks ago and the recheck 2
weeks after the antibiotics came back with an infection again - e-coli, so
we are restarting another round of antibiotics.  She never shows any
symptoms, we caught this one because we saw blood in the light snow.
Heidi's 'private' is completely covered by her drooping skin.  The vet has
been suggesting the episioplasty surgery for the past year and we have been
reluctant to even consider the surgery because of her age and AIHA (she is
currently in remission).  We use a cranberry supplement with her food and
baby wipes to try to keep her clean each time she goes but it  seems like a
losing battle.  We are extremely torn and I hate to say we are beginning to
lean toward the surgery. There is no guarantee that it will take care of the
problem completely but we feel the longer we wait the less options we will
have for treating these infections.  Any insight to this surgery is greatly
appreciated, bottom line the decision is ours to make and we want to do the
best for Heidi but we feel like we are doing a disservice to her for not
considering the surgery.    The cystoscopy was brought up this time because
with the last two 'free catch' urinalysis there has been a high amount of
transitional epithelia cells.  Thanks in advance.

Our condolences go out to all the families that have lost their beloved
babies.

Patti & Bob
Heidi (you want to do what??) - 11/1/2 yrs
Abigail (do I get a present for my gotcha day on Monday?) - 1 yr
Belle ATB (11/15/95 - 9/7/2010)