[Dailydrool] Here's some good information on how to treat hot spots

Vicki Kerns vickikerns at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 07:51:06 PDT 2012

>From Dr. Andrew Jones:

REMOVE THE HAIR. This is the most important thing to do in order to allow
hot spots to heal. Use a pair of blunt nosed scissors to trim as much hair
as possible on and around the spot. If you have clippers use them for
trimming. These can be very painful and some dogs will not let you trim
much hair.

CLEAN THE AREA. Use a mild, non-perfumed antiseptic soap (Hibitane) to
clean the skin. Gently dab it on the spot, lather up and rinse well.

A CUP OF TEA. The key to curing hot spots is to get them to dry out. A very
effective antiseptic drying solution is tea and aspirin. Brew up a strong
cup of black tea and dissolve an aspirin tablet in it. Soak a cloth in
this brew
and apply it to the area for 5 minutes four times daily.

And new Remedy...

Apple Cider Vinegar. It can be applied directly to the Hot Spot- 4 times
daily. I soaked it in a cloth and wiped the clipped area. It has anti-bacterial
and anti-inflammatory properties. As an aside, it is also high in
potassium, making it beneficial for older, sometimes potassium deficient
pets. As well, it can be consumed orally (after all it is fermented
apples)- and it can give your pets an overall immune boost.

Drool to everyone in need, especially young Jesse!

--
Vicki Kerns

  ~≈≈~

  //^ ^\\
(/(_•_)\)
 _/''*''\_
(/_)^(_\)  ~  "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."