[Dailydrool] Snoopy, LuLu and Cyrus

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 30 11:28:39 PDT 2012

Hi all, it's the clueless momPerson here,

Well, we've been busy so we have some catching up to do.  Drool and prayers to
the sick houndies out there and condonences for everybody who has left for the
bridge .... so sad.

My three are getting on famously.  Last night after dinner LuLu was bouncing
around .... momPerson, momPerson .... lets have our walk before it gets dark!!
Well, a behavioralist from GGBR told me it is good to do fun things outside in
the dark to help her feel better about it.  So, we compromised.  When we left it
was still light, but I knew it would be dark before we made it home.  We all
left ... Snoopy and Cyrus shoulder to shoulder and then me and LuLu side by side
behind them (see .... I do have ONE dog who heels) ... and I looked over and
LuLu's tail was HIGH .... and she was strutting.  So cute ... and then we met a
neighbor (a dark skinned man) and before I could tell him anything he bent down
and said "hi sweetie" and little LuLu trotted right on up to him and let him pet
her!!  And he said ... awww ... she's cute ... and I don't think he ever even
guessed that less than a month ago he wouldn't have even approached her and she
CERTAINLY wouldn't have come to him for pets when he called.  Hurray for LuLu.

Today is Friday, dog park day.  Wish me luck.  We went on Wednesday.  We were
there a while when Charlie, the yellow lab CANNON BALL arrived.  Poor Charlie
has a placement record as long as your arm.  He is currently in foster and I
don't believe his foster dad will abandon the project, but I seriously doubt he
will ever find anyone to adopt this insane, cannon ball of a dog.  Most people
grab their leads and their dogs and RUN when Charlie arrives.  But .... Cyrus
likes to play bump and run with Charlie and he is bigger (110 lbs vs Charlie's
even 100) and so I let him .... might as well let Charlie play with someone.
Charlie can't help it if he only has one speed and it's full force, dead on.
Anyway ... Snoopy wanted to join in and I let him because I'm a clueless
momPerson.  I mean, none of the dogs are mean ... Charlie doesn't bite .... he
just can't control himself and he barrels into people and dogs with full force.
So, when Cyrus got tired I let Snoopy play chase with Charlie which turned into
bump and run and then I took the dogs home.

I had appointments in the afternoon but when I got home around 5 I could see
right away something was wrong with Snoopy.  For one thing he could barely
walk.  But it was worse than that.  I fed the dogs and they ate .... but Snoopy
never said one word.  And he always snarks at Cyrus while I get the bowls ready
... it's tradition.  And then, we had steak for dinner.  Snoopy sat in a corner
and never said a word.  Just looks real sad.  Now I KNEW I was in trouble.  I
went over to him and he couldn't stand up and he couldn't lay down either.  He
was licking the air and sad sighing and that is when I noticed his belly all
blown up.  So ... I ran to the first aid kit and got a gas X and got it down him
and like 3 seconds later got this HUGE belch.  Just huge.  Whole body into it
.... head forward ... neck stretched out .... BELCH.  And then he got up and
could walk a little bit and I stayed with him and he kept belching for another
10 minutes and stopped.  so I got him another Gas X and same thing ... HUGE
belch almost immediately and then he was playing a tune .... belching and
farting ... poor baby.  Then he went an lay down.  It was walk time and I
debated and decided a short walk might help and he wanted to try so I gave him
another gas X and we went and when we got back my husband said "hey, he got his
waist back ... he isn't blown up anymore."  He wanted to get up on the couch but
couldn't so I lifted him ... and he slept a few hours.  At bed time he couldn't
get up on the bed so I lifted him ... and he slept all night .... and was fine
and fiesty in the morning.  Total of 5 gas X.

This happenned to him once before .... and he'd been playing bump and run pretty
rowdy with Cyrus then.  Anybody know why this happens to Snoopy?  He is VERY
deep chested.  What is happening?  Gas?  Start of bloat?  What?

Anyway everyone is fine today and we're planning on the dog park ... if Charlie
shows up I guess we'll leave with everybody else.  Poor Charlie.

More later from the clueless momPerson with Snoopy (I guess I shouldn't play
bump and run with huge dogs) and Cyrus (we were all worried ... LuLu and I
stayed with Snoopy so we were touching him the whole time) and LuLu (boys!!
seriously!!)