[Dailydrool] Snoopy, Lulu and Cyrus

Wendie Prince houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Fri Mar 30 14:40:08 PDT 2012

Dale,

Glad Lulu is loving life and healing from her past.

Snoopy bloated, only his stomach apparently did not twist, which is great or
it may have twisted some, but was able to position back into the correct
place. Once a hound bloats they have good chances to bloat again,  not sure
why, but it is what I hear and have read.just cannot remember where I read
that.

We have a hound here, Noah,  who bloated, with his stomach twisting about 90
degrees by the time we got x-rays,  and then it somehow slid back into
position.   I have had 4 dogs who have bloated and I am not one to mess
around with it,  so after speaking with the vet, I decided to schedule Noah
for surgery to tack his stomach.  Maybe some folks would not do this, but I
feel strongly about prevention after they shows bloat signs.  Speak to your
vet.  And I am sure some folks here will give you more feedback.

When bloat happens, time is of the essence,  it can kill a dog if the
stomach twists and blood flow stops.  Err on the side of get your dog to the
vet as soon as possible!

Don't want to scare you, or anyone else,   just been there too many
times...4 dogs,  9 bloats,   and yes, they can still bloat after their
stomach is tacked,   only their stomach will not twist.  Mona and Bessie
both bloated after their tacks.

Drool to all in need,  I am very behind.  We send our condolences out to all
who have lost a hound recently,

wen and the Bounders

 <http://www.seniorhoundsabound.org/> www.seniorhoundsabound.org    check us
out!